Monday, September 10, 2007

Taking So Long

I finally finished the body of the shawl, and I've been working on the Vandyke edging. It is slow going. But there is one thing that's really cool about working the edging -- I'm starting to be able to see what the shawl will actually look like. See above! Formerly, the whole circle (and it turns out it's a big honkin' circle) was held on my rather small circular needles. Well, because the knitted-on border also finishes the raw edges of the body, each time I finish a set of rows another body stitch slips off the needles. What you stretched out above is pictured from a distance of about six feet and is less than a third of the whole thing.

I'm starting to think that this may actually end up being very beautiful. I've been feeling some anxiety about it, because this is my first large lace project; maybe me gauge was too loose? Maybe I made some visible mistakes? Maybe I should have made it in the yarn the pattern called for? Well, phew. I like. I may actually be done with it someday. I can't WAIT to block it.

7 comments:

mãenuela said...

and i like it to. is very delicate.congratulations

Anonymous said...

It will turn out beautiful, now you have to wear it somewhere with your dad...
regards

Ali in Oz!

Anonymous said...

wow-- beautiful. congratulations on your patience and willingness to take on such a challenging project.

ceilpie said...

Thanks for sharing your blog with me. It has been very interesting reading your adventures in the creative process. Looking forward to reading more in the future.

Anonymous said...

Your shawl looks beautiful. Can't wait to see it spread out to see the whole design.

C in NY

mãenuela said...

dear sunswept
i like to keep my promises.. and as you visited my blog, i started translating it!
Can you pleasevisit me and tell me if i make many mistake sin english? thank you

Unknown said...

Wow! That's so BEAUTIFUL! What an incredible job you're doing there. Just gorgeous. My hat's off to you!